Halkidiki is a great peninsula, being surrounded by the Aegean Sea and only Northwest. is united with the trunk of Macedonia through the region of Thessaloniki. In the southern part of Halkidiki, three distinctive elongated peninsulas are formed from west to east: the peninsula of Kassandra, the Sithonia peninsula and the peninsula of Athos.
The capital of the prefecture of Chalkidiki is Polygyros with 6,121 inhabitants. The administrative center of Mount Athos is Karyes. The Halkidiki peninsula is administratively divided into the prefecture of Chalkidiki and the autonomous monastic state of Mount Athos. The northern part of the peninsula belongs to the prefecture of Thessaloniki.
Nea Potidea or Nea Potidea (or simply Potidea) is a seaside large settlement and community in the Municipality of Nea Propontida in the prefecture of Halkidiki. Its population is 1,559 inhabitants, based on the 2011 population census. It is located 6 kilometers south of Nea Moudania, at the narrowest point of the Kassandra Peninsula. Residents are engaged in tourism and fishing. They first settled in the area during the exchange of populations in 1923 as refugees.
The present village was built by refugees, in the place of another, destroyed in 1821 by the Turks, after the Holocaust of Kassandra. However, the region was a colony of the Corinthians from the 7th century BC It took part in the Battle of Plataea and its name is mentioned in the brass monument of Trikarinou Ofi dedicated to the Greek states that participated in the battle. It soon developed into an important city in Halkidiki, and even its defection from the Athenian Alliance was one of the reasons for the Peloponnesian War. In the battles that followed, the well-known Athenian philosopher Socrates took part.
In 357 BC was captured by Philip II and was destroyed, while its inhabitants were devastated. After its rebuilding by Kassandros, it was named Kassandria, which flourished in the Roman times, when settlers from Rome were settled.  In the 1st century BC there was already the original canal, which was about 500 meters north, outside the northern wall of Cassander. In 540 AD. Kassandria was destroyed by a Huns’ raid and re-founded by Justinian, occupying a small part of the city of Cassandra. At that time, the “wrecking” of which the ruins were preserved, was built, and the canal was opened in today’s approximately place.
The transshipment and the canal were repaired by the “Despot” (= king) of Thessaloniki’s 7th Palaiologos in 1407, and improved by the Venetians (1424-1430). In 1430 Halkidiki was subjugated to the Turks. In this dialectification, the rebellious Greeks were fortified in 1821. [pending citation]. Refugees from the Platanos of Eastern Thrace also carried the icon of St. George in their new homeland.